In this recipe I will guide you step by step on how to make an Italian Peperonata with 4 simple ingredients in only 25 minutes!
Enjoy our lovely peperonata recipe, the dish is so simple yet delicious! Peperonata is a very versatile dish, conveniently it can be used in many different ways:
- Starter – antipasti with olives and cured meat or why not make a bruschetta with it? (just toast or grill some sourdough bread and add peperonata at the top). Absolutely ideal finger food!
- Main – use peperonata as a side dish for any meat, fish, or brunch dishes
- Vegetarians and vegans – have it as a sweet pepper stew with rice or mashed potatoes! Why not add carrots with cumin and rosemary to your dinner table?
What will I need to make Peperonata?
Start will yellow and red bell peppers to add a splash of color to your dish! Red onions for sweetness, fresh basil, olive oil, and Passata (tomato sauce).
Let's Make Italian Peperonata!
It will take only 4 easy steps to make Italian Peperonata:
- Pour the oil into a large frying pan (skillet) or a wok, heat up, and place the thinly sliced red onion
- Meanwhile, cut the peppers in half lengthwise, remove the stork and seeds, and slice them about 1 cm thick.
- Add the peppers to the onions, season lightly, and cook on a lively heat for 5 minutes steering regularly.
- Add half of the basil leaves and the passata, cover the pan, reduce the heat, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
By now the peppers should be soft and the sauce should have a creamier consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning, add the remaining basil and serve!
Hint and Tips
I recommend using passata mutti– the number 1 professional passata used in the best Italian restaurants because of its creamy silky texture. Additionally, it will add richness to the dish with low acidity.
Nevertheless during the summer months if you want to add a seasonal twist to the dish you can use raw tomatoes!
What if you do not like bell peppers? Not a problem – you can use other varieties of peppers, for an extra kick why not add some chili to the dish.
Best Italian Peperonata Recipe
- 700 g Yellow and red bell peppers
- 250 g Red onion
- 160 g Passata
- 5 g Basil leaves
- 10 ml Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pour the oil in a large frying pan or a wok, heat up and place the thinly sliced red onion
- Cook steering regularly until the onions are soft and translucent
- Meanwhile, cut the peppers in half lengthwise, remove the stork and seeds and slice them about 1 cm thick
- Add the peppers to the onions, season slightly and cook on a lively heat for 5 minutes steering regularly
- Add half of the basil laves and the passata, cover the pan, reduce the heat and cook for a further 10 minutes
- By now the peppers should be soft and the sauce should have a creamier consistency
- Taste and adjust seasoning, add the remaining basil and serve
HINT AND TIPS:The passata can be substituted with fresh tomatoes during the summer months. I reccomend to use Passata Mutti because it non-acidic taste and smooth texture, it is known to be number 1 Passata in Italy. Make sure you taste the dish for seasoning whilst cooking, adding extra salt or pepper after the dish is finished will not have the same result. Other variety of peppers can be used adjusting the cooking times slightly.
Enjoy our lovely Italian Peperonata recipe and post your comments below. Visit our selection of family recipes for more inspiration on Italian cuisine, if you wish to learn more about healthy living and food nutritional benefits read our Blog.
This is an amazing recipe that does not contain any allergen, suitable for vegans and vegetarians. A big crowd please and plenty to do with leftovers!